Thursday, September 16, 2010

"What do you mean it's a twin?"

Lets start out by admitting that I am not a camping-type person.  Don't get me wrong; I love the outdoors and all of the beautiful things nature offers.  That said, I can't stand being dirty, being eaten alive by mosquitoes, having moths fly in and out of my face, ants and beetles crawling over my feet . . . you get the picture.  All that being said, I still agreed to go camping with my eagle scout.  If you assumed I've never been camping, then you're wrong.  I used to go all of the time whilst growing up, but we had a camper.  I can wind up the top, pull out the beds, and even put it all away again, but hand me a windbreaker and a few poles, and I'll look at you like you're crazy, which is exactly what happened when we arrived.  I've NEVER slept in a tent.  The closest I've come to sleeping outdoors are the summer nights my siblings and I would spend on the trampoline under the stars.

We drove THREE hours to get to the Cascades at the Newhalem campground sites. It was a much needed weekend getaway and we thoroughly enjoyed our time together.  We got to the campgrounds fairly early, with enough time to set up the tent and get dinner started before it got dark.  The fun really started after Andrew and I drove down to the restrooms to blow up the air mattress (really roughing it, I know).  He walked out of the bathroom with a sly grin on his face and held up the mattress we were promised was a queen.  Promise broken . . . it was a twin.  My first thought was "poor Andrew, he had to drive all day and now he has to sleep on the ground tonight."  Turns out when you're cold enough, it is possible to fit two fatties on a twin mattress!  Sleeping arrangements aside, we had a great time.  The drive was worth it.  Even though we came home even more tired than we were when we left, we had made some pretty fun memories.

Here's some proof I actually enjoyed myself . . .

Muscle man!
Beautiful waterfall we saw

Andrew being a little artsy


That's what I call a stud!

He insisted he needed a fanny pack for our .5 mi hike

Poor Madagascar . . . this is why Andrew hates playing games with me




1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! I had to laugh at Andrews fanny pack. Ha. I miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete